The Ultimate Guide to Enjoying Art Museums While Traveling Abroad
Art museums are culturally enriching no matter where you travel. While traveling for business or pleasure, it’s good to have some knowledge and be prepared to ensure the best experience possible.
Keep in mind that you do not need to leave the United States to come across some beautiful pieces of artwork – there are some amazing museums throughout the US that are must-sees. To find art museums in the area you are traveling too, you can search the American Association of Museums listed by state. Also, check the local Convention and Visitor’s Bureau website for their events calendars. There may just be some exhibits that you will be able to see when you are there.
In the meantime, enjoy these helpful “museum” tips to ensure you will get the most out of your experience:
- Go to the museum’s website prior to visiting to view their specific information.
- Many museums are closed on Monday so be sure to find this out before heading over.
- Many offer extended hours of operation so look into this on their website so you will not have to rush through any exhibits.
- When traveling over the holidays, double check the museums holiday hours.
- There can be reduced pricing or free admission on certain days at some museums so be sure to research this prior to your visit as well.
- Becoming a member of a museum has many benefits. If you are planning on extensive visits to one or many museums, it may be in your best interest to become a member. Some museums even offer membership programs that will not only allow you free admission to the museum where you purchased your membership but also will offer free admission at other participating museums as well. For example, the Mobile Museum of Art in Mobile, AL is a partner along with the Orlando Museum of Art in Orlando, FL of the Southeastern Reciprocal Membership Program (SERM). If you purchase a SERM card, you have free access to both of these fine museums and 75 others.
There is also a coupon book called CityPASS which offers discounted admission prices for a destination’s top attractions. Here are the art museums featured in CityPASS:
- The High Museum of Art in Atlanta, GA;
- The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, MA;
- The Art Institute of Chicago in Chicago, IL;
- The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, TX;
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, NY;
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City, NY;
- The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Become culturally acclimated where ever your travels may bring you but be sure to do your research first to ensure you have the best art museum experience possible.