Staying Healthy While Traveling For Business
I came across an article written by Amanda Cook featured in The Next Women Business Magazine. The article is about being more health conscious while you are on business trips and she has some fabulous tips on how to do so.
Her tips were formulated based off of a recent 2011 study conducted by Columbia University’s Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, which details evidence proving “…that increased travel results in an increase in body mass index, higher blood pressure and lower self-rated health.” The negative behaviors being referenced for repeated business travels is consuming more alcohol and food, more stress, and less physical activity. To avoid falling into these reoccurring business travel behaviors, the following tips will allow for healthy business travels ahead:
- Stay hydrated. There are many important reasons to increase your daily water intake while traveling: Dry airplane and hotel air, irregular schedules, and drinking too much coffee and/or alcohol. Drinking plenty of water with improve your energy and stress levels; moderate your appetite; keep your nose and throat moistened at all times (which also helps your resistance to catching colds); and keeps your skin looking fresh. Drink bottled water if you are worried about the water quality.
- Breakfast is the most important meal – don’t skimp or skip it. Be sure to eat protein and try to avoid sugar as this will make you feel energized for a bit but the effects will wear off leaving you feeling tired and hungry again. Protein fills you up and keeps you feeling full longer. Eating foods high in fiber, such as oatmeal, will also help curb your appetite longer and keep you regular during your travels.
- Bring something from home to make your travels more comfortable. Taking something from home will make you feel that much more at home while you are away. It could be as simple as your favorite pair of jeans or a pillow. Remember, make it personal and unique to your comfort and style preferences.
- Fresh air goes a long way. Be sure that you are getting outside to gulp in some fresh air each day while you are away for business. Being inside all day makes you tired and sluggish and gaining access to the crisp, clean air outside has some amazing health benefits. While you are enjoying your clean, non-recycled air you could also take in some exercise by walking or jogging, which will also help loosen you up and will relieve the stress of the day. If your travels bring you across time zones, getting out in the morning sun can also help alleviate jet-lag because it helps re-program your internal clock.
- Always travel with lavender. Amanda swears by bringing a small, travel-sized vial of lavender essential oil with her every time she travels. She says it helps her to relax, sleep, and reduces her anxiety. She also swears that a drop of this oil applied to pimples will clear them up over-night – hmmm I will have to try that! She says that it is a great pore-opener as well if two drops are applied to a warm-water soaked wash cloth and laid upon your face. Lavender oil is also great in the tub or shower to carry your relaxation to the next level.
Business travels can do a lot of damage on a body, so be sure to take care of yourself while on the road. Your body will thank you later for it.