Let’s face it, travel in general is filled with stress but business travelers experience these much more frequently. A recent poll from TripIt determined the top 5 most common stresses associated with travel:
- Exercise. 67% of frequent travelers said that the pressure to exercise was stressful – 17% of these responders found it to be extremely stressful.
- Healthy Eating. 66% of responders found eating healthy to be a challenge and added to the overall stress of traveling – 19% said it was extremely stressful.
- To do list upon return. 64% found the pressure of tasks needing to be done when they returned home to be a significant source of stress while traveling.
- Airport Security. Of the people that were polled, 59% found airport security to be very stressful.
- Driving in a new city. The lowest on the top 5 travel stresses is driving in a new city. 54% of respondents found this to be very stressful when they travel.
Since exercise and healthy eating are the two highest stresses for frequent business travelers, here is a list of suggestions that TripIt recommended to help alleviate some of your stress:
Bring healthy, portable snacks with you so you won’t be as temped to buy un-healthy snacks when the hunger sets in. Bring along some almonds or a banana to help tie you over between meals.
Instead of ordering a large dinner, choose a small plate or an appetizer for dinner instead. If you opt for a salad, keep in mind that the dressing has a ton of fat and calories so it’s best kept on the side. Salad is not always the healthiest choice on the menu either so be smart when choosing.
Instead of using escalators or moving sidewalks, try taking the stairs or walk to keep you moving.
Track how many steps you are taking with a pedometer or an app on your phone.
- Ask for a map of the local area with running/walking trails or nearby parks.
- Do crunches, pushups, jumping jacks, chair dips, stretching, and any other activity that doesn’t require any equipment in your room.
It is a stressful world we live in and the constant traveling makes life that much more hectic. Hopefully these tips from TripIt will make your future business trips less stressful, more active, and healthier. 🙂
Safe travels everyone!
These days healthier options are all around us as well as other dietary needs being offered at national and local restaurants. The following smart phone apps will allow you to filter out the bad eating choices from the good especially while traveling.
– This helpful app can be downloaded onto your iPhone or Android phones. This app will not only steer you in the right direction for healthier meal choices, but will also be a great resource in locating shopping and service options within a particular airport so you will never be lost again.
– is a free online tool as well as a smart phone app that will allow you to track all of your food, drinks, and exercise done and consumed in a day. It also allows you to share your food and exercise diary with friends and family as a greater support. There are tons of fast food and restaurant food items already in the database and you can also scan bar codes to look up the dietary information.
is a website created and designed by registered dietitians. You can enter in a zip code and a list of all healthier options will pull up. They offer helpful dining tips for all types of individuals. This is a great resource for those of us who are looking to lose weight, keep it off, eat healthy, etc. There is also a healthy kids menu!
can also be downloaded onto your iPhone or Android phones. This app/site allows users to find nearby restaurants that offer gluten free foods. This site/app has been approved by The Gluten Free Consumer and the American Celiac Disease Alliance (ACDA).
offers free android and iPhone app downloads. This app is updated daily with everything kosher in your specific area. This app features 1,000s of kosher restaurants and also shows deals and discounts being offered. You can search by restaurant name, address, or zip code.
can be downloaded onto your iPhone or Android phones. This amazing app allows you to scan the bar codes on food items and then it will give you a grade so you can determine the better food choice. You might think a certain product is healthy but in reality, it might not be. This app will allow you to find the best foods to live a healthier, less processed life style.
Since healthy eating is on the rise there are tons of resources out on the market today – and most of them are free – to help us make the healthier choices. Above are just a few of the many helpful apps out there. Bon appetite! 🙂